Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Sunday, October 7, 2018

Specca Farm - Pick Your Own Oct. 7, 2018

Today, with three friends, we took an expedition to Specca Farms to pick our own.  Perhaps I have mentioned in previous posts that I don't drink alcohol, so no wine expert, and I don't cook, so no good recipes, unfortunately.

However, the people I went with, Dorothy Stanaitis, Maryann Corsini and their friend Ellen Bernstein, all cook, and after we picked, we went to Maryann's house and she cooked the most delicious lunch.  She roasted red and white beets, and made a greens and white beans dish, with quinoa, and a lovely side of sliced peppers, onions, and green beans in a delicious kind of vinaigrette.  Sorry I don't know enough about ingredients to give a better description, but it was delicious beyond my powers of description.  This was in fact, my first experience with farm to table cooking and eating.  I am inspired. 

For myself, I bought a pumpkin, wonderful apples from orchards in Franklinville, and cherry tomatoes that I picked myself.

Who knew there was such a large population of Turkish people in South Jersey?  There is a Turkish Cultural Center, and Specca's farm had rows of specialized crops of Turkish vegetables in Turkish writing.  

One other thing I really enjoyed seeing aside from the green and lovely fields and the robust and fresh vegetables, was the large number of families with young children picking vegetables to take home and cook.  What a nice thing for families to do together.  It is my opinion that children don't get enough outdoor time these days and families don't get enough together time, so this was a lovely way to accomplish both beneficial experiences.  

It almost makes me wish I could cook, almost makes me want to learn how, but for one person, it hardly seems worth it.  

For more info, look up Specca Farm on Facebook and here is the address and phone number.
Address870 Jacksonville Mt Holly Rd, Bordentown, NJ 08505

No comments:

Post a Comment