Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Thursday, February 14, 2019

Still time for these fun events - Saturday

For several years right after I retired, I was a volunteer docent at Whitall House, Red Bank Battlefield.  It was an honor to work in such a beautiful house and to know the equally beautiful Meghan Giordano, who passed away at a far far too early age.  

Eventually, my knees and back forced me to give up my volunteer work at all the places where I used to spend my days, and I had to find new activities that didn't involve standing too long, or sitting at a computer.  

Still, though, the Colonial period has remained an interest of mine and Colonial period crafts in particular.  I no longer think I will find the time to learn to spin and weave as I had once hoped, but there is a chance to learn a different craft at the Whitall House this Saturday:
Colonial Crafts: Rag Rug
Saturday, February 16 | 10 AM - 12 PM
Red Bank Battlefield Park, National Park
Join the Whitall House at Red Bank Battlefield Park for their Colonial Crafts Series! This two hour course will teach you the art of creating rag rugs! Reservations are required and the class cost is $10 per person. For more information or to make your reservation call (856) 307-6456. 

Another place where I was once a volunteer is offering this event:
The Shannachie of Glendunbunn Ballybegg (The Storyteller of the 
Little Town of Glendunbunn)
Saturday, February 16 | 2 PM - 3 PM
Indian King Tavern Museum, Haddonfield
 

The wit and wisdom, humor and horror, hubris and humanity of a people are found in their traditional stories. Compelling story teller and performer David Emerson, spins tale through the eyes of a person of the past. He retells and embroiders the colorful and ancient stories of Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Cornwall the home of the first tavern keeper. The presentation will "warm, tickle, and maybe chill the heart."

AS I had visited Ireland with my daughter years ago, the birthplace of my mother's ancestors, I would love to be able to year this presentation.  It will be hard to choose between these two events!

Enjoy - Happy Valentine's Day!
Jo Ann



No comments:

Post a Comment