Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Thursday, February 21, 2019

Tips for BRAIN HEALTH

Today, after I returned from walking my dog her morning mile in bright sunshine and a frisky breeze, and ran a few errands locally including (Oh JOY) buying more ART supplies at A. C. Moore, I sat on the sofa to enjoy what is probably my final copy of Martha Stewart Living Magazine.  I only subscribed in the first place as a birthday gift for my sister who was a BIG M.S. fan.  Personally, although I admire her ability to have made a fortune from housework, the domestic sphere has rarely held any interest for me.  I am more literature, ART, and nature oriented.  I don't cook, never re-decorate, and don't garden.

Nonetheless, I like the pictures and the dip into a different world.  What I did NOT like however, was finding out that without my knowledge or permission the magazine had somehow switched from annual renewal by check to access to my credit card and automatic renewal - something I NEVER do!  I would have assumed I made a mistake somehow except it had happened to a few of my friends with other magazines and subscriptions, so I see it is a trend  Anyhow once I was onto the con, I contacted both the magazine and my bank and shut down the automatic annual renewal and the subscription.

Anyway, warning aside, this issue had an article on brain health.  I am interested in all kinds of health and particularly brain health and even if you are already aware of these tips, as I am, a reminder is often helpful!

1.Connect with People -SOCIALIZE!  Every article I have ever read has put socializing up at the top of the list for brain health.  We are social animals and need interaction to maintain brain and emotional health.  Find a Senior Center, a Library, join a club (I joined with some old college friends to form an art club that meets once a month in winter indoors, and twice a month in summer outdoors in Knight Park, Collingswood in the picnic shelter), look around and find some place to meet up with others.  I have gym buddies and lunch pals and I just started a SENIORS MEET-Up in my hometown, Mt. Ephraim, Monday, March 4 at 1:00 is our first meeting, topic:  Family History - Join us!  Join a book club, all towns have them, ask at your library!  Also a friend recently joined the Jewish Community Center in Cherry Hill which has a multitude of educational programs, art programs and ways to enrich your life. 
2.STOP MULTI-TASKING!  This was a new one for me.  I didn't know multi-tasking was bad for your brain and if you had asked me I probably would have thought it was good for you, however, I don't do it.  Since I am retired it isn't required of me and most of the things I do demand single minded devotion - like painting, reading or writing.  Even walking my dog, I NEVER wear headphones because I like the ambient sound of the outdoors.  The article said it was like driving your car with your foot on the brake and the gas at the same time.  
3.EAT for brain Health.  The DASH Diet in modified form is called the MIND diet and as you might guess, it is vegetables, berries, fish, olive oil, leafy greens, nuts.  So, think of an omelette with fresh spinach, feta cheese, and a salad of greens with carrot shavings, broccoli florets, olives, and snacks of lightly salted almonds always on hand, also almond butter on whole grain crackers or bread (my favored breakfast!)  Also, blueberries in cereal and pancakes.  I try to eat this way as much as possible.
4.EXERCISE:  I walk the dog a mile in the morning and another in afternoon and i try to get to my gym with my gym buddies Joanne and Aldona three times a week.  Joanne and I buddied up three years ago when the gym opened near us.  By the way, with an AARP membership card, you can get the basic price reduced from $10 a month to $5!!!!  Even if you only go 3 times a week, which we shoot for, you are doing your cardiovascular system and your brain a world of good!
5.PRIORITIZE DEEP SLEEP - My advice would be NO TV in the bedroom.  I live alone so that one is easy, but back in the day, I had partners and we sometimes had arguments over tv in the bedroom.  I am serious about my sleep.  I have a routine - I got to bed early, usually around 10:30, read for an hour, then the lights go out and I sleep like a baby until 8 a.m.  Anything less and I feel groggy and out of sorts.  I LOVE my sleep - it is a big luxury to me.
6.EXPLORE NEW TERRITORY:  Take up a new hobby or interest, learn to play chess, or ukulele!  Hone your skills in something you already do.  For example, I am a painter, and recently I began to do a series of figure studies since I am not particularly skilled at figure and need the practice.  My first attempts were less than satisfying but I have found as I moved on, my work is getting better by leaps and bounds, each study is much much better than the one before.  There are a lot of places to take lessons, many art places such as Perkins Center for the Arts in Collingswood and Moorestown, and Eiland Arts Center in Merchantville at the train station where you can take up playing an instrument.  Wasn't there something you always wanted to try?  Do it now!  Don't mind if you aren't skillful at first, everything worth doing takes time and practice and if you put in the effort you will get the rewards!
There is an e-mail that I get called Visit South Jersey, and it is filled with tips for places to go and things to do - check it out!  Oh yes, I almost forgot, there is always volunteer work - every historic site needs volunteers, and another thing you can join is the Outdoor Club of South Jersey.  Not all their hikes are 6 milers, a hike leader named David Bickings does 2 and 3 milers in the area.  Look up their website and get more information!  Also, take up Yoga!  You don't need to be an athlete to learn this fabulous way to exercise, stay limber and learn meditation.  You can try chair yoga if you have back and knee problems.  Go my library Haddon Twp. off Cuthbert Blvd., and get their magazine bulletin of events.  They have Chair Yoga beginning again in March.  I try to go all the time, I find it very refreshing and helpful.  My knees and back do not permit floor yoga anymore.

Hope all of this is helpful to you!  I am off to walk the dog now while the sun still shines!
Happy Trails!
Jo Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment