Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Wednesday, March 25, 2020

More protein complementary vegetarian main dish recipes for hard times

Hi everyone - hoping you are coping with the corona virus and all its INCONVENIENCES!  A few posts back I gave two recipes for canned tuna(from THE WEEK MAGAZINE) which, I may have said, I would've adjusted to my own ingredients and my vegetarian lifestyle.  This morning I was  texting with some teacher friends who were lamenting the food rationing on chicken at their supermarket, so I thought it might be timely to add two more recipes to the list.  One is from my former Mother-in-law, now deceased who was a talented and enthusiastic cook of traditional Polish dishes.  One that she made in both meat and meatless form was 'stuffed peppers.' Very simple!
Stuffed Green Peppers
Ingredients:
green peppers
brown rice
onion
bread crumbs
1 egg
tomato sauce

Wash and cut the tops off as many large green peppers as you wish to serve.  Probably 6 is a good number for today and tomorrow!

Cook up a pot of brown rice or wild rice.  ((meat eaters can cook ground beef)

sautee' a pan of very small diced onions

Mix the sauteed onions and the brown rice together in a bowl (I seem to remember Mrs. M. adding a beaten egg but I am not certain - I did it without the egg)  You can add some bread crumbs for filler if you wish, I didn't.  This dish gives you protein and your vegetables all in one!

Stand the peppers in a baking dish, stuff them with the brown rice mixture, ladle a dollop of tomato sauce on top of each one and bake until tender but not falling apart.  I forget exactly how long, half hour?

STUFFED POTATO SKINS (this dish I got from the Colonial Diner which has an excellent vegan menu.  Several of my vegan friends and I have made it a point to go there frequently to try each dish on their menu.  This one is my favorite of two favorites.  Some of my neighbors are vegans and they too have enjoyed the Colonial menu.

Ingredients:
As many baking potatoes as you plan to want (6?)  You can use the potatoes in so many ways, so bake as many as you wish and use a few for this recipe and save the others for slicing and sauté'
baking potatoes
1 can black beans
1 can white beans
1 can red beans
1 can diced spiced tomatoes
1 can of yellow corn
1 jar of chunky medium hot salsa (if you prefer you can skip the tomatoes and use a larger jar of salsa)
grated cheddar cheese
chili powder
sour cream

drain each can and put the beans, corn, tomatoes and salsa in a pot to heat.  

Bake the potatoes (you can bake them in a microwave for smaller quantities but the oven gives a better flavor and crispier skins)

slice each potato in half and scoop out the potato 

place a filling of chili in each potato skin 'boat' and top with a tablespoon of cheddar cheese (or vegan cheese if you have it)

put in the oven and bake for a short time, maybe 15 minutes

Remove and serve with sour cream or vegan sour cream if you have it.

I am a vegetarian so I do use some dairy products.  Any dairy I use can be substituted by vegan products that are just as good.

The Colonial also has chili tortillas on the vegan menu and you can use the tortillas with the chili recipe.

Sorry if my recipes are not very exact.  I am not a serious cook or recipe sharer but I am expecting any of my friends or acquaintances have enough experience in the kitchen to supply whatever corrections or details are needed as well as to adapt any recipe to suit their own lifestyles!  

Enjoy!  My Gran Mabel, the German ancestor, whose people came her in the early 1800's during the German unification civil war, was a true survivor and even more importantly, she knew how to remain cheerful and optimistic in the face of shortages, rationing, and hard times.  I loved her very much and she was an excellent role model for me.  Widowed in her 30's with four children to raise and no education, she survived by her sewing skills, her mother's help, and her energetic good will.  I keep a picture of her on my piano to remind me of her good example.  From my English heritage, I have adopted Winston Churchill's excellent advice, "Keep Calm and Carry On.!"  

As long as we share and cooperate with one another, look for good solutions to difficulties and ADAPT and EVOLVE, we will all get through this.

Churchill's other good advice was "When you are going through hell, just keep going."  We will get to the other side of this!

Be well, stay safe!
Jo Ann
wrightj45@yahoo.com

Appalachian saying that is good for hard times:  Use it up, wear it out, make it do and do without!

From Mr. Fred Rogers, "When in despair, look for the helpers!"





No comments:

Post a Comment