Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Saturday, March 21, 2020

Two recipes for your disaster storaged canned goods - tuna

If you tuned in to my previous blog suggesting canned foods and other storage friendly foods to put aside for a disaster which we are now facing with the Novel Corona virus, you will perhaps notice that I missed adding canned tuna to the list!  So here I fix that omission with two recipes from The Week news magazine for this week, March 27, 2020.

But first an even more important stock-up group I missed:  trail mix!  You may wish to make your own and I would suggest it as I don't like what happens to nuts when they have been packaged with dried cranberries which still have some moisture and make dried nuts kind of soggy.  So stock up on walnuts, cranberries, dried bananas and other dried fruits, almonds, cashews and a variety of seeds such as sunflower seeds!

So two recipes for canned tuna.  These recipes used oil preserved tuna and if I made them, which I might, I would use water canned tuna instead as I hate oily tuna!  I am not a fan of fish flavor anyhow (as a vegetarian, I rarely to never eat fish anyhow).  One ingredient mystified me - 'farro' so I looked it up and it is a form of whole grain, often wheat and it is packed with protein!

Lemon dressed farro, tuna, and chick pea salad
grated zest of one large lemon
5 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 cup of farro (cooked per pkg instructions and cooled-makes 3 cups)
1 3/4 cups canned no-salt-added chick peas drained and rinsed
7 oz can oil packed light tuna, flaked
1 cup diced sweet onion
1/4 cup diced loosely packed parsley

In a small bowl whisk lemon zest, juice and oil to form an emulsified dressing, season with salt and black pepper to taste
In a large bowl combine farrow, chick peas, tuna, onion, parsley and lemon dressing.  Toss to incorporate and then refrigerate for a couple of hours.  Serves 6 to 8

Fettucini col sugo de tonno con aglio e panna

1 7 oz can of tuna packed in olive oil
1/2 tsp garlic chopped very fine
2 tbsp chopped parsley
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tbsp butter softened to room temperature
1/2 cu heavy cream
1/2 cu freshly grated Parmigiano-reggiano
1/4 boxed dried fettuccine

Drain tuna and place in bowl
Add garlic, parsley, egg, butter, cream, salt, liberal grindings of black pepper and grated cheese: Mix well using a fork to break up and mash the tuna
Drop pasta into a pot of abundant boiling salted water and cook until done but firm
Drain and toss immediately with the tuna mixture
Bring to table at once with additional grated cheese on the side
Serves 4

Noted:  best canned tuna Tonnino Tuna Fillets in Oil (sold in jars)
Ortiz Bonito del Norte Albacore White Tuna in Olive Oil
Starkist Selects Solid Yellowfin Tuna in extra virgin olive oil
Starkist Solid White Albacore in Veg Oil

Bon Apetit - Stay well my friends!
Jo Ann
wrightj45@yahoo.com

In my next post, I will share a cous cous vegetarian recipe given to me by a friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment