Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Walking and Talking Events Upcoming

BIG NEWS - Perhaps I mentioned that I had made an art piece to enter into the juried show BRAVE 100, being held at my favorite local gallery, Eiland Arts, Merchantville.

My piece was inspired by a cloth pages book with a cloth shoulder strap that I had made for my daughter when she was a toddler.  I called it 'pocketbook' and it inspired me to do another version. 

I chose 20 women who had influenced my life and made both American and international improvements in the world.  I found photos I liked of them, online, and adapted from them to make small postcard sized portraits.  Then I found fabric that in some way, color or print, referred to their work or lives.  For example, for Rachel Carson, author of Silent Spring, and a renowned ocean biologist, I found seashell motif fabric.  For Joni Mitchell, brilliant American singer/songwriter/musician, I found peace sign material.  
I made quilt squares with the portraits in the center, and then sewed them together along the top to create a book, with a shoulder strap.

To make a long story short, I made 4 pocketbooks with 5 pages each and I won FIRST PRIZE!!!!  I had no idea until I went to the opening of the show that I had won, and I had never dared to imagine such a thing.  I was thrilled that I was accepted into the show!

1.So, you can go to Eiland Arts, at the old Merchantville Train Station, see the show (gallery upstairs) and you can walk on the daffodil bordered Rails to Trails path out in front!

2.Again, combining Women's History Month, 100th Anniversary of Suffrage Year 2020 - AND - Walking, here is an event in Haddonfield:
HADDONFIELD, NJ — On the 100th anniversary of the Women's Suffrage movement, residents will have the chance to learn about women who made a difference in the history of Haddonfield this spring.
The Historical Society of Haddonfield offers a walking tour on May 3. The "Historic Hadddonfield" walking tour begins at Greenfield Hall at 1:30 p.m., according to the Historical Society. Greenfield Hall is located at 343 Kings Highway East.
The tour will have a special focus on the women of Haddonfield. This year marks the 100-year anniversary of the women's suffrage movement, which concluded with the ratification of the 19th Amendment granting women the right to vote on Aug. 18, 1920.
Haddonfield is named after Elizabeth Haddon, who claimed land in the new world in her father's name. As the story goes, John Haddon bought a 500-acre tract of land in New Jersey in 1698. 
He had to claim the land physically within six months, but since he couldn't make the trip due to his poor health, he sent his 21-year-old daughter to claim the land.
The tour is limited to 20 people, and tickets are $15 per person. All proceeds to benefit the Historical Society. Participants are also welcome to visit Greenfield Hall either before or after the walking tour. The building will be open for tours from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.

Tickets for the walking tour can be purchased online at www.haddonfieldhistory.org. They are also available through the Historical Society office at 856-429-7375 or info@haddonfieldhistory.org.

3.You can add two events this month:  March 22 at the Camden County Historical Society display and lecture and
4.Lucretia Mott (historical re-enactor) at Gloucester County Historical Society on March 29!  

Happy Trails!
Jo Ann
wrightj45@yahoo.com



No comments:

Post a Comment