Historic Places in South Jersey
Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do
A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purposeof sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.
Saturday, August 22, 2026
Oldest Person 117 years old
"QUOTE OF THE DAY"
"‘Even at 117, I have had many firsts this year, from stroking a llama to holding hands with the king.’
Ethel Caterham, the oldest living person in the world, reflecting on the past year as she celebrates her 117th birthday from her home in the U.K. Her secret to a long life is “never arguing with anyone; I listen, and I do what I want,” she added."
Ethel Caterham's advice is something I have been working on myself recently, not arguing. In contrast, I just read a piece about the "biohacker" who claimes to be the most tested man in the world, Brian Johnson. I saw a documentary about him and although, I saw no harm in his compulsive excercising and extreme diet, I drew the line at him taking blood from his son and injecting into himself. Obsessive Compulsive pretty much sums up what I thought of him.
There is a saying that i can only remember the first few words which are often spoken and left in the air to describe situations where people do all they can to control something and then the unexpected flies in from a totally unexpected direction and scatters everything into chaos "The Best Laid Plans of mice and men often go awry." (I looked it up) Robert Burns was the author of the longer quote.
The tech 'health maximizing' Brian Johnson has been diagnosed with an autoimmune disease, a gastroentiritis.
I was reminded of the great ultramarathon walker Edward Payson Weston who was killed by a taxi driver.
All of it teaches me that it isn't so much how long you live, as it is HOW you live.
Having been working on that all my life, I am still shy of a good score, but I am learning. and I am trying. Frankly having made it to 80 seems very lucky to me and not altogether something I achieved but more something I have been given. There are plenty of times I could have died had not fate intervened in some way and I was saved, so I am grateful for this great gift and my gratitude pushes me to try to make myself worthy of this gift, even now, in my sunset years.
This leads me further in my decision to adopt a dog again. It is another small thing that I can do to help someone; share my home and resources with someone who is vulnerable and in need and who in turn will share with me the gift of purpose and the greatest gift of all which is love.
Happy trails (my comments section is often polluted by spam so if you wish to share your thoughts, please feel free to e-mail me -
wrightj45@yahoo.com.
Also, I don't make it a link as that invites the spam bots to pile on and pllute my e-mail as well. Hope to hear from you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment