Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Monday, January 31, 2011

Responses to Count Von Donop's Skull post

This e-mail just came from Lee Anderson, author and re-enactor:

"Interesting stuff JoAnn. Although I doubt it is Von Donop's skull, all they have to do is a test for DNA on it. There are Von Donop descendants, I believe that one lives in North Carolina.

Although I also believe that the only way you can get DNA from a skull is teeth and it looks like the teeth are all missing.

Also, Von Donop's dying quote, maybe he didn't, but I got it from the Diary of Job Whitall who was present at his death and a doctor from Woodbury was German and translated his words. I think that is a pretty good source. I don't doubt that the quote or some variation
of it has been uttered many times over during several wars from the 12th to the 19th century.

Thanks for the posts. They are always good reading.
Take care,
Lee Anderson"

No comments:

Post a Comment