Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

#10 and final note on the CCC in New Jersey Plus GSoSC

 A fellow history buff told me about this letter written by a veteran of teh CCC, called "It's a Great Life" by Robert L. Miller.  Find the letter at this link (copy and paste):
http://new deal.feri.org/ccc/ccc009.htm

It really sums of the experience of the CCC from an insider and makes me wish we had a such a program today for our out of work young people.  At the end of the poignant letter he writes "I enrolled as a boy, unsteady, groping, unsure.  I wanted something but could not describe it or discover a means for attaining it.  Then I discovered  what it was I was seeking.  It was the right to call myself a man.  My life at camp had given me that right, and I shall be ever grateful to President Roosevelt and the CCC.

WANT TO KNOW MORE?
Middlesex County Cultural and Heritage Commission presents:
GOT WORK? New Deal/WPA in New Jersey Lecture Series
Sunday, Sept. 29, 2013 1:30 and again at 3:00 plus
Kathleen Duxbury discussing the CCC Sunday, Nov. 3, 2013 at 2:00 p.m. 
East Jersey Olde Towne Village, 1050 River Rd., Piscataway, NJ (free - but registration required by mail at above address)


Last night I went to the Salem Co. Genealogical Society Lecture series, the first of the year (with Harry Schaeffer,  a fellow docent at the Whitall House Red Bank Battlefield) where Jim Schulte presented on 350 years of New Jersey history.
The audience is very historically well educated and interested.  He divided us into groups and gave us a large sheet of oak tag and a marker.  Then we were given a couple of minutes to write down historical sites or events or figures for each letter of the alphabet.  After each letter, we shared what we had written.  Needless to say with such an audience, there were many new and very interesting items.  It was so much fun.  Often at the many courses and lectures I attend,  a presenter lectures and all around the room, you see heads dropping.  This time, everyone was fully engaged and having a ball.  I think most of us learned something new.
Happy History!

No comments:

Post a Comment