Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Monday, December 23, 2013

Jam-Packed December 2013

So sorry, I let my readers down on things to do the first 3 weeks of this month.  That's because I was so busy putting up lights, decorating the tree, cleaning the house for guests, buying the gifts, then wrapping the gifts, then cleaning again, that I didn't get to do any of my usual candlelight tours (or my cards!).  And as always, every day I am Big Timber Creek Dog Park walking my pal, Trixie.  Actually, though, I volunteered at one candlelight event - as usual, I did an evening as a docent at the James and Ann Whitall House for their candlelight weekend, themed, 'A Soldier's Life' and enjoyed very much listening to our re-enactor soldier in Ann's Parlor.  Wonderful Event!
Therefore, I apologise because I missed the Battle of Iron Works Hill, among many other things I enjoy.  BUT there are still some places to go and things to see this month:
Smithville still has Victorian Christmas Candlelight Tours on December 27th and 29th.  My daughter will be here with me for a week and maybe she and I will be able to go to that.  
Historic Smithville Park, 803 Smithville Rd., Eastampton
and for tea dates call (856) 767-3159

One of the things I missed telling you about closer to the day that I actually attended was the Burlington County Historians' Roundtable which is a 'don't miss' event for those interested in South Jersey History.  Run by Burlington County Historian, Joe Laufer, (with ehelp from Paul Schopp) it is a supreme model of what counties should do to promote their resources.  This month the meeting was held at the Lyceum of History and Natural Science (formerly Mt. Holly Library) at 307 High St., Mount Holly, NJ. (Call for info.609-265-5858)
They have some things coming up worth notingAs you know my interests overlap in nature and history
At the Lyceum, lecture series Jan. 8 and 9 Migratory Waterfowl
Sat.,Jan 11, 9:30 a.m. Smithville Park - hike and tour Winter Ecology              Happy Trails, Rails and Tails!  Jo Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment