Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Sunday, September 21, 2014

After the Historians Roundtable Sat. Sept. 20, 2014

The Burlington County Historians Roundtable met again yesterday, the first time I've attended since the sad death of Joe Lauffer, the county historian and a brilliant, talented and energetic man who gave immeasurably of himself to the historic community.  Still, Thank Heavens, the Roundtable is going again and I apologize for not noting the name of the new head - a very interesting new leader.  I'll look it up - Sorry, a good time spent searching did not come up with her name, neither did any of the papers handed out and although she left her card on the table, I missed picking up one on the way out.  Maybe next time, I'll be more on the ball with my pen and pad.
Anyhow, Upcoming EVENT to be held at Batsto Village on Sunday October 12 from 1 to 5 - at the Batsto Visitor Center.  There will be a lecture by Meet the Author Guest, Barbara Solem who has written a book on Baatsto Village. There will also be live music and light refreshments.  Brbara is the author of Ghosttowns and other Quirky Places  of the New Jersey Pine Barrens, a book that many lovers of the Pines carry in their cars at all times.
I apologize, the pen I finally found went dry and I wasn't able to get all the dates but there were events scheduled for Peachfields, White Hill Mansion in Fieldsboro, and in December the Battle of the Ironworks at Mount Holly. No doubt, a google search of these places could bring up the dates of their events.  The Armed Forces Heritage House Military Museum afhhm.org has acquired a mobile museum, what a great idea!  Check with their site to get more information on this.
Following the Roundtable, we were given a tour of Batsto Mansion by Wes Hughes the informative, charming, and always interesting volunteer and member of the Batsto Citizens' Committee.  
After the tour, I gave myself a walking tour of the village which I have visited seasonally since I was in my teens and to which I took my daughter every season throughout her childhood.  It is a wonderful place to visit, and to hike, and I strongly recommend it for EVERYONE and especially families.  Also, bring the dog and the hike the many wonderful trails!
Happy Trails and Happy Tails! 
Jo Ann - wrightj45@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment