Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Monday, January 19, 2015

A Great blog and a great man

1.  A Great blog - Today, Monday, January 19, 2015 I had several e-mails from friends telling me about an Inquirer article about a blogger who travels the roads in South Jersey.  I checked her out and it is GREAT!
http://southjerseyexplorer.com/2014/08/06/the-three-forts-ferry-tour/

I hope you will check it out and enjoy! 

2.  A Great man - On Saturday, I enjoyed a fascinating lecture on Brevet Brigadier General Elias Wright born in 1830, died in 1903.  He served in the Civil War but he was also land agent,  surveyer and friend to Joseph Wharton of the Wharton Estate, Batsto, New Jersey.  Needless to say, I am always interested in the Wrights!  
After the lecture, we took a tour of Batsto Mansion which I have done many times, but it is always new.  Our guide was Alicia whom I had met several times at Hancock House further down south along Alloways Creek.  She gave an excellent tour.  We hiked around the village a little afterward and I bought several items in the gift shop for valentine gifts to send my daughter.  It was a delightful day!
Oh yes, a Martin Luther King, Jr. Day connection.  General Wright commander of the 10th U. S. Colored Troops!  As you know, it wasn't until the final year of the war that African American soldiers were permitted to fight and brave and noble men who trained and became their leaders and commanders. such as Capt. Robert Shaw.  

1 comment: