Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Thursday, January 8, 2015

Family Tree Magazine

As I have mentioned many times before, my interest in history has, perhaps, its roots in my place of birth, Philadelphia, and my own family history.  To help me in the search, I have turned to a great many books, often mentioned in this blog, and to Family Tree Magazine to which I have subscribed for several years.  The current issue, January/February 2015, celebrates the 15th Anniversary of Family Tree with many useful articles including 101 BEST Genealogy Tips, which I found very interesting and which, I am sure, will come in handy in the future.

Also recently arrived is the FENWICK COLONY GAZETTE,  the newsletter of the Genealogical Society of Salem County, to which I am a member.  They are holding an Old Photo Contest
genelogicalsocietysalemcounty@gmail.com (Jpg format)
The topic is ancestor who fathered the most children and the deadline is the last day of February.  the Web site for the organization is
www.gsscnj.org and they have a facebook page as well.

I may submit my ancestors Adam Young and Catherine Sandman who had four sets of twins and three singles, of which my grandmother, Mabel Wright was one.  She was a twin.  Only six of the children reached adulthood.  The photos date to 1886.  


The society meets monthly at the Fenwick auditorium at Friends Village, Woodstown, NJ at 7 p.m.
January 13, Searching Newspapers, presented by Bonny Beth Elwell (President)
Feb.10 (Archaeology at Wistarburgh, presented by Bill Liebknecht
March 10, Blueberries New Jersey's Wonder Fruit, presnted by Judith Krall-Russo
April 14, Irish Research, presented by Claire F. Keenan

The people in the society are enormously helpful and welcoming and if you are starting out, they can offer a great deal of help.  Membership dues are $17 a year for singles.  Attend a meeting and see if you like it.

If only all the hunting could be for ancestors and knowledge:  Happy Hunting and Happy New Year 2015!
Hope to see you on the trail.
Jo Ann

ps.  I have written two essays to send to Reminisce Magazine, wish me luck!  One is on charm bracelets and the other on German Christmas Tree ornaments.  Maybe I'll publish them here as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment