Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Monday, January 12, 2015

TRAINS! And more....

You know I love trains, and sadly, I missed Railroad Days in Bordentown this year.  BUT, I was delighted to visit the little American Museum at 123 Main Street in Glassboro last week to see the collection of trains on display there and I think I enjoyed it even more because it wasn't as overwhelming and because it brought back memories of my childhood platforms.  The museum director ran the trains for us and there were chairs to sit in for a longer meditation on the memories and the information he provided about the age and type of his trains.  For more information and a picture of the trains, go to the website.  I forgot to take a photo (entranced by the trains, I lost my photojournalist professionalism).

http://www.southjerseymuseum.org/

Before the train exhibit, my two friends and I had lunch at the Lake House and it was delicious.  We had spinach ravioli and a delightful view of the snow covered Iona Lake.  The snow is gone now, so I'm glad I got to see it when it was picturesque. 

This is another example of a simply delightful way to spend a winter day.  Hope you have had many wonderful days following these tips!  Also, I hope to discover and share even more wonderful places to go and things to do in historic South Jersey. 

Oh, by the way, there is another train show coming, and I'll be there - Sunday, January 25 from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at the Brooklawn American Legion, Post #72, 11 Railroad Avenue, Brooklawn, NJ 08030 Hosted by the Strasburg Model Railroad Club - Over 50 tables of TRAIN items.  For more information, call Dave Luciano (856) 988-0689

And for really good food, I can't praise Illiano's Restaurant enough.  They are located in the Shamong area and I often eat there with my author friend, Barb Solem, who recently finished her book on BATSTO:  Gem of the Pinelands.    Illeanos is in the Village of Taunton Forge, 200 Tuckerton, Rd. Medford, NJ (856-985-2975, website 222.illianocucina.com

By the way, the Paul Schopp lecture on Timbuctoo that was held on Saturday at Medford Leas was deeply enlinghtening and the story of Perry Simmons was heart stirring.  Paul never disappoints in his lectures.  He is a brilliantly knowledgeable historian and I try to go to any lecture he is giving when I can.  

Happy Trails and in view of the subject, Happy Rails
Jo Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment