Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Sunday, March 8, 2015

Lines on the Pines & What's Going On in SJ

Today, Sunday, March 8, along with a couple of my friends, I attended the Lines in the Pines at Kerry Brooke Caterers in Hammonton, right in front of the Frog Rock Country Club.  As usual, it was thronged with friendly and interested people, and as usual, there were gorgeous photographs and a multitude of interesting arts and books to see and talk about.

My friends and I like to do a "Pick your Favorite thing" when there is so much to see.  It helps you narrow down and remember.  My favorite thing was the spinners.  It has always seemed like magic to me.  Once I went so far as to wash and card a barrel of sheeps wool that a friend with a farm gave me, but I never got to the spinning part of the process.  Watching the wool get turned into yarn is fascinating, mesmerizing.  You can see how fairytales were made from it as in "Spinning straw into gold."  My friend, Gale Kerr's favorite thing were the miniature terrarium gardens in jars, another friend, Janet Romano, a music teacher, liked best talking to the members of Ongs Hat music group - see
www.ongshat.com.  My other friend, Barb Solem was there to talk about her latest book BATSTO, Jewel of the Pines, and her other two books, GHosttowns ond other Quirky Places of the New Jersey Pine Barrens, and the Forks.  

We met up with another couple of friends, Barb and Frank and we all went over to the MapleWood for lunch.  

Some flyers with interesting information:  Buzby's General Store Collection is in the process of being digitized and put on-line.  Among other things, the collection includes postcards, letters, photographs, and invoices.  The collection is donated to the Richard E. Bjork Library by Marilyn Schmidt, who has been the owner of Buzby's for some years now and has published numerous books on Pinelands history and recipes.  I love that store.  More information on this can be found at http://stockton.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/

Another flyer titled South Jersey Culture & History Center ann0ounced the exhibition Pine Barrens Life and Legends on display at the Noyes Museum of Art of Stockton Univ. in Oceanville, NJ.  It runs through September 13, 2015 - another fun day trip.
Bud Wilson, noted archaeologist and Ted Gordon, Botanist will speak on Thursday, March 26 from 6:30 to 7:30 and Ongs Hat Band will play on Thursday, April 16 from 5:30 to 7:30 pm.
There will be storytelling and Music on Saturday May 2 at 2:00 and a spinning and felting demonstration on June 20 at 1:00.

For more info go to www.noyesmuseum.org   or blogs.stockton.edu/sjchc


I took some photos but I'm struggling getting them off the camera and it is late and I'm going to bed now.  I'll try to post a couple of the photographs another day.  I have one of the spinners.  Hope this gives you some good ideas of places to go and things to do this spring in South Jersey!
Happy Trails!  And a great big thank you to Linda Stanton the force behind Lines On the Pines!
Jo Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment