Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Friday, February 2, 2018

Rancocas Woods Craft Co-op & Antique Attic - Back Again!

Again today, Friday, Feb. 2, I found myself on the Marne Hwy. headed to Rancocas Woods after a delicious lunch at Maritza's on Main Street in Maple Shade.

I was with a different friend and I was on a mission.  Last year, or the year before,  I had found the cleverest and most reasonably priced Valentine cards at a little shop in Rancocas Woods and I was determined to find that shop again and get more of those cards.  I wanted one for my daughter in particular.

When we went to Rancocas yesterday, I had been to an Antique Co-op but it wasn't the same one.  This time through the vagaries of the gps, we were taken down Creek Road from the opposite direction and we found the lost co-op of a year ago and next door to it, the little card shop. Again, they had the cards, called "Papyris" and again they were on sale for $2 a card, very reasonable for cards of such detail and clever construction.  

At the Antique Co-op I found another bargain - 'Upcycled' mittens made from old sweaters.  Lined in a soft warm flannel, they are the warmest things ever and I like them for walking the dog when you really need something warm on your hands.  They were only $10 - also a very reasonable price for something so clever and so useful.

I find the Antique Co-ops inspiring and almost like a spa for the senses - the smell of the aromatic soaps and the candles, the beautiful arrangements of lovingly restored and updated furnishings, the hand-crafted objects, and the re-visiting of objects loved in the past and forgotten.

As is often the case, I found some American Girl Dolls, all dressed up in adorable winter outfits.  AS I have no doubt mentioned before, I am the affectionate owner of an Effanbee doll from the very early 1940's and my daughter has a few dolls from the American Girl Doll period.  Her dolls are packed away, my doll sits in my bedroom dressed in a new outfit as of Christmas, a 'prairie girl' set I bought after reading the new and highly praised biography of Laura Ingalls Wilder.  

There was a set of book ends fashioned from old classroom style pencil sharpeners that I would have liked to own.  I could have used them to make a display of the Little House books, the Wilder biography, and my Effanbee doll in her "prairie girl" attire!  I do so admire the displays in these shops and never seem to pull them off at home.

Very cold today, a penetrating and biting kind of cold.  It was nice to spend the day in the warmth of such pretty surroundings, and to drive through Rancocas Woods and admire the log cabins.  

If you are looking for a fun day trip, you might want to try this one.  Put 208 Creek Road in your gps.  Although it is Rancocas Woods, the gps needs Mt. Laurel for the town.  

Happy Trails!
ps.  You might want to soup up at Maritza's before you head out into the cold!  And pick up a pair of those up cycled mittens for yourself and loved ones, you'll be glad you did.  Also, don't forget, Valentines Day is just around the corner.  Maybe you could get that loved one something a little different this year.  Enjoy!
Jo Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment