Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Monday, February 5, 2018

Whitall House, Red Bank Battlefield, National Park, NJ

For a few years after I retired, I was a docent at the James and Anne Whitall House, Red Bank Battlefield, National Park, NJ.  It was a richly rewarding experience in many ways, not least of which was the excellent group of volunteers I came to know there.  We took many history trips together over the years and became good friends at the house dinners, that fallowed the hearth cooking exhibitions on open house days.

Sadly my bad knees and bad back made standing for tour days too demanding for me and I had to give up most of my volunteer jobs including working on the computer at the Gloucester County Historical Society.  

Anyhow, the new season is set to begin at Whitall House in April and new volunteers are being invited for training during March.  I believe the first training session is March 3.  The second ma be March 31st.

Also, the following is worth noting:
"Sunday, April 15 is our military living history encampment (this date got moved from June)"

So if you don't necessarily want to volunteer but would like to know more about this local historic treasure, attend the living history encampment and check it out!  There are several big events during the year, a gardening event, and the biggest event of all, the battle re-enacment in October. 

I will def. be at the April 15 event.  I miss the park, the people, the beautiful view of the river and the history!

Happy Trails!
Jo Ann

For further information on the volunteer opportunity or anything related to Whitall House, contact:

No comments:

Post a Comment