Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Saturday, April 27, 2019

Good Ideas for Holiday treats for kids

If you are like me, I was a mother who was always concerned with my daughter not having things that were bad for her teeth, for example gummy bears, and also, I didn't want to set bad habits for the future.  When she was toilet training, I bought bags of small animal models at the AAA Hobby Shop on the White Horse Pike in Lawnside (?) Magnolia (?) and I built her a simple Ark with a lid that opened.  Every time she had a successful potty experience, she got a pair of animals to put in her ark.

For Halloween, and for teaching when I worked, I bought about $50 worth of treats from Oriental Trading Company, the catalog for which came in the mail.  For Halloween I bought skull rings and spider rings, glow in the dark bouncy balls, little maze puzzles, orange and black pencils and op art pads, often I would get 50 items in a unit for $5 and generally, I would have enough left over for the following year - these things don't spoil.  Additionally, I didn't have the problem of eating a lot of candy myself because it was hanging around the house.  At school, I made a treasure box out of a xerox paper box, and used these items for rewards for helpful, courteous behavior, and for odd jobs done by students for the class.

So, this year, I was thinking about what you could put in Easter eggs for kids.  I decided if I were to hold an Easter Egg hunt today, I would have three containers ready, a burlap draw string bag, an box made into an ark, and a piggy bank.  I wold put marbles in some eggs, pennies and nickles in some, and little animals in others, also fun rings (another object obtainable from Oriental Trading Company in large quantities for little money).  For little crafters, beads could go into the eggs and be made into bracelets, and for budding geologists, precious stones for a rock and gem collection.

Happy Trails!
Jo Ann 
wrightj45@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment