Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Forgotten History - the Oneida and the American Revolution

This year, as with other years before, I choose to remember and honor the original people of America, the Native Americans who through coerced and broken treaties, broken promises, and violence were deprived of their lands and the history of their part in the creation of the American Republic.

Tonight I am watching a documentary, Oneida:  And the American Revolution, free with amazon prime.  As a member of another group of people whose history has been willfully left out in the telling of the American story in the past, I empathize with my neighbors and I honor their memory in my own personal way.

The Oneida fought alongside George Washington in defending the frontier and in defiance of the rest of the federation of tribes who fought with the British.  

I have read a great many books of history about Native Americans and some contemporary novels by Native Americans, but I have had very little experience with Native Americans and the Revolution.  I will let you know what I learn from this documentary film.

Happy Trails!
Jo Ann
wrightj45@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment