Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Friday, November 1, 2019

Magnolia Model Train Show

Any of my frequent blog visitors know that I am a big model train fan.  From my early childhood when my father put up the most magical big platform that took up our whole living room, I have been enchanted by that little world of mirror pond ice skaters, the hooting train disappearing into the tunnel, crisscrossing the other trains, and stopping at the station to pick up the lead figures waiting with their umbrellas and newspapers.  

Actually, I have a little 'n' gauge set and a tiny German village complete with a military post and red coated soldiers that I used to put up before I adopted my kittens 3 years ago.  Although they aren't kittens anymore, I have no doubt they would find my trains too much like mice to resist so for the present, no train display at my house.  

So, I satisfy my wish to see the model trains by going to train shows of which there are quite a number these days.  There are Railroad Day displays at various sites in Burlington, and I have been to exhibitions in Brooklawn, and Haddon Heights in past years, also the American Museum in Deptford where I saw one of the most interesting, to me, model railroad  accessories EVER - skaters sledders and other figures molded out of World War II bullet casings.  I love the idea of melting down the accessories of death to create fanciful figures of fun!  One of the early members of our Mt. Ephraim Seniors Group has a model lead soldier molding set-up at his house.  If he ever comes back, I am going to try to persuade him to invite me over to see it!

Details:  DATE - November 16, 2019 (date confirmed via facebook)
TIME:  from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
LOCATION:  Magnolia Community Hall
                       425 West Brooke Ave.
                       Magnolia, NJ 08049

I got this information from my group e-mail from the Camden County History Alliance and I believe you can find this information and more on their Facebook page!  There were other events on the flyer, so check out the page as there may be something you will like that I didn't write here on this blog post.


No comments:

Post a Comment