Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Sunday, March 10, 2019

Lines On The Pines at Stockton College

Today, two friends and I went to Lines on the Pines which is always in March, and which for the past couple of years has been at Stockton State College which is good thing because we need to coordinate with colleges more in the history world and attract young enthusiasts.

Before we went to the LOTPines, we stopped at a vegetarian/vegan place for a delicious lunch.  The cafe' is called GREENS and GRAINS, 80 Jimmie Leeds Rd., Galloway, 609-277-7060.  I had the most delicious veggie burger wrap and tomato/cashew soup.  Perfectly healthful food and warming on a cold and dreary day - especially that soup.  I LOVE tomato soup and that was the tastiest I have ever enjoyed.  Just  getting their menu is a lesson in how to make delicious vegan meals.  

At the LOTPines event, there was the usual array of authors with great books on Pines history and mystery, including my good friend Barbara Solem who has written:  Batsto - Jewel of the Pines, The Forks, and Ghosttowns and Other Quirky Places in the New Jersey Pine Barrens.  I see lots of old pals there.  I saw Janet R. who is a volunteer for Unexpected Wildlife, and Bonnie Beth Elwell who works for Camden County Historical Society (of which I am a member).  

Camden County Historical Society had a great spread of information.  The developing Camden County History Alliance was represented by an array of cards for each of the dozens of historic sites.  I picked up a few of which I had never heard before, or which I had heard of but had never visited - there aren't many as I have passionately tracked down most and volunteered at many.  CCHS had given me some sets of their EXCELLENT History quarterly Magazine to give out at our next Mt. Ephraim Seniors Get-Together, the theme of which is local history, Monday, April 1st at the Dougherty Senior Center.  Anyone who is in the area and a senior is invited to join us!  It is casual and discussion based - not a lecture format.

What I bought at Lines on the Pines:  It is become a little tradition of mine to buy my daughter's Easter basket goodies at Lines on the Pines each year.  She is a grown-up now and so bunnies and candy chicks and Easter outfits don't work anymore.  These days I like to get her hand-made artisan objects of beauty for her apartment in New York.  This year I found a lovely and elegant bud vase, and some hand-made fragrant soaps.  I will probably still get her a chocolate bunny at Duffy's home-made chocolates in Gloucester City, though.

As ever, there were musical areas, pottery objects, jewelry, many wood workers products, wine racks for the many local winery products, glass blown things and books, books, books!  There was a treasure trove of information on all thing Pinelands as well.  It is a wonderful day.  I am sorry I didn't remind you again just before hand.  I got busy!  I did post about it earlier however.  My favorite things are alway the artisan made objects of beauty.  If I had more money I would buy more things.  I would have loved to have bought a hand-made basket to put the other treasures into, but I had already used up all my cash on the things I bought and lunch.  Maybe next year!

Happy Trails - "hoppin' down the bunny trail, hippity hoppity Easter's on its Way!"

No comments:

Post a Comment