Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Thursday, March 21, 2019

Win some lose some - Art and music

Since the point of my blog is to introduce you to places to go and things to do, let me say right off that the point of this personal anecdote is to acquaint you with a place to go.

Yesterday a friend of mine from our college days, who is also a painter, and a member of Main Street Art Club, went with me to enter three works of art in a context at Croft Farm in Cherry Hill.

My friend entered 3 paintings, large landscapes painted in a very free, and flowing style, very different from my work.

I entered three small pieces, to 8x10 landscape and one 11x14 painting of an abandoned mill in Millville on the Maurice River.  My work is very representational, old school, traditional and very like illustration.  Needless to say, despite many years of college and many art schools, Norman Rockwell was my inspiration, and in my free retired years, I have returned to a very photographic style.

We had a nice afternoon, Robert and I.  We ate out at a Chinese restaurant that I like very much in Audubon in the Pine Plaza.  They have a lunch special, and I always get the Vegetarian Delight, which is mixed vegetables in a light sauce, and a generous helping of fluffy white rice.  It is filling, delicious and healthful.  It comes with either soup or an egg roll.  I always get a vegetarian spring roll (not as good as Bankok City's spring rolls which aren't as good as the ones I got at Saigon on Washington AVe. in Philly when I lived there, but they are good enough.

I had never visited Croft Farm before but I had heard of it and even passed it once or twice.  The barn has been converted into an Arts Center, and although I rarely mention music here, I picked up a couple of flyers and will give the information.  Croft Farm is located on 100 Borton's Mill Rd, Cherry Hill, off Brace Rd. phone 856-488-7868

If you want to go to the art show, the opening reception is March 24, from 2-4 and it is free.  The gallery is open on other days as well, 3/25, 3/29, 4/1, 4/3, 4/5 10 to 4 most days.  

Robert and I did not get into the show.  We both received our rejection e-mails today and are going to pick up our work on Monday.  I am not daunted, however, as my work DID get into the Eiland Arts Show and I will say hundreds of people brought work to the Cherry Hill Show.  Also, judging in Art is very subjective and highly dependent on the likes and tastes of the judges.  I have two more shows, one entered, and one to enter, coming up. so wish me luck!

Now the Music:  Trio Montage of the Cherry Hill Ensemble series will perform April 7 at 2:30 tickets $12, $15 and $5 for students.
April 10, 7 p.m. Cherry Hill Public Library.

There was a free magazine available - Spring 2019 Community Magazine featuring news, classes and events.  Presumably this magazine would be available at the Cherry Hill Library if you would be more apt to drive that way.  Or you can find it online at CherryHill-NJ.com/Recreation, or you can pick up a copy at 820 Mercer Street at the Recreation Dept Call 856-488-7868 for more information.  The magazine is filled with  information, classes, services and events, so it is well worth the effort to pick one up!

I will be dropping off my work for the Eiland Arts Center Show on March 30.  I am already accepted into that show, so if you want to see it, the opening is April 5 at 7 pm., the Merchantville Railroad Station off Centre Ave. in Merchantville, NJ.  The gallery is upstairs although there is work in the coffee cafe downstairs as well.

If you paint or have another art/craft and are interesting in showing your work, another upcoming event is run by the Batsto Citizens Committee, an indoor/outdoor event to be held in June.  Applications due by May 30 For an application or more information, you can contact hcrheam@gmail.com or call 856-768-1532.

Happy Trails!  
Jo Ann
wrightj45@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment