Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Saturday, March 2, 2019

Photography at Eiland Arts, Merchantville Train Station Cafe and Gallery (Eiland Arts Center)

Sorry, you missed the opening reception, and so did I.   It was February 22nd.  I don't know how I didn't know about it, but I happened on to the show on the 1st of March when I dropped off my application for the Spring Group Painting Show, theme:  LOVE.  So the show is still up till the end of the month and I would strongly recommend that you get over there one day and enjoy the photography while it's up.

The photo show was called ALTERNATIVE PROCES PHOTOGRAPHY - 3 Women's Explorations. 

My favorite two pieces were downstairs in the cafe area:  One was a quilt made of photographs transferred to fabric and pieced onto the quilt.  First of all I LOVE photography and I have done a little transfer work myself, so I really loved this idea.  Also, I have always been interested in non-traditional ways of hanging wall art.
So, #2 favorite was also a non-traditional hanging method, photo transfers onto fabric in embroidery hoops.  Beautiful!

The day I stopped by was a cold snowy day and it was so warm and cozy in the cafe' and the art was so interesting that it was a big treat.  The fragrance of the brewing of the coffee filled the place with warmth and it was delightful being there.  

I admire was Nicole Eiland has tried to do in Merchantville.  She brings quality artwork to a historic setting.  The opportunities for seeing good art are growing all the time in our area.  Support the arts and go over to the Station, buy a coffee, maybe brunch or lunch, and enjoy the photo show!

Happy Trails,
Jo Ann 

No comments:

Post a Comment