Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Saturday, May 18, 2019

NJ EAT GLOBAL MAY ISSUE plus Walt Whitman and T. Thomas Fortune

No doubt you have noticed the wide array of gossip magazines devoid of any useful information or purpose, lining the aisles at check-out in the supermarkets.  Half of the names splashed across the covers bemoaning cheating partners, weight gain, or struggles getting pregnant, married, divorced, or mentally stable.  Usually the only informative or interesting magazines are the Time/Life series with a special focus, on something like Lincoln and the Gettysburg Address, or The US Space Program, or Dogs.  Rarely do I spend any money on a magazine and also rarely do I bother to pull a magazine out of the rack to browse while I wait in line to pain for my groceries.  If I want a magazine and I have several favorites, I subscribe, or go to Barnes and Noble in Cherry Hill, in the shopping center I always refer to as the Legman's shopping center.  I think it is where the old Garden State Racetrack was.  There I buy history magazines, ArtJournaling, or Ancestry magazines, sometimes a literary magazine.

Anyhow, after that long introduction, my point is that I bought the May issue of New Jersey.  From time to time, they have put out issues with a cover story that is of interest to me, most recently, New Jersey Walks, however, I find that most things labeled "New Jersey" somehow have a North Jersey focus.  The most recent issue, Eat Global caught my eye because I have been trying to tempt myself to a more healthful diet at home.  Eating out, I ALWAY have healthful and nutritious meals but at home I tend to lean towards fast and easy - sandwiches, cheese and crackers, cereal and almond milk, protein drinks.  I bought a Wok with the intention of making stir fry but sadly it still as its wrap-around cardboard collar like the day I bought it.

Within the first several pages of New Jersey, I found two interesting articles of history note:  The celebration of Walt Whitman's Camden Days, from age 53 till his death.  There will be tours of the Whitman House at 328 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd from May 22 to June 8, and at the Stedman Gallery on the Rutgers campus from May 30 to December there will be an exhibition of paintings, photographs, glassworks and sculpture.  For more information, visit:
whitmanat200.org/calendar


The other item of interest to me was the renovation and repurposing of the T. Thomas Fortune Homestead in Red Bank, NJ.  I had never heard of T. Thomas Fortune before, which was surprising to me as I have done a good bit of programming on African American themes in South Jersey history.  T. Thomas Fortune's estate, Maple Hall was a hub for such luminaries as W. E. B. Dubois, Booker Washington, Ida B. Wellsand Marcus Garvey, all names and careers with which I was familiar.  T. Thomas Fortune had also created the National Afro-American League, a precursor to the NAACP, and wa a strong supporter of African American unity groups to help in the struggle for equality in civil rights in America.  The newly renovated building will be used as a cultural center and a meeting place for advocacy ventures, much as it was in the days of its founder.  

One of the things I found interesting about this renovation was that it was accomplished by a builder and developer who planned to use it as a focal point for a residency development on the grounds behind Maple Hall.  

This was especially interesting to me because it is the way the Benjamin Cooper Ferry and Tavern is being saved in Camden.  A developer has bought the property and plans to renovate the Cooper house and use it as a 'branding' focal point for a development of residences and shops.  

This is a salutary and innovative way to save the buildings that are just too expensive for historical groups to save.  The developers who can often be the enemies of conservation can be more civil minded and use our cultural and natural treasures for everyone's benefit!

Happy Trails!
Jo Ann
wrightj45@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment