Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Sunday, May 19, 2019

Read it in the Sunday New York Times

This morning, Sunday, an article that caught my attention was in the Business sector and titled "I wanted a Mobile Art Studio, so I Built One, in a 2009 Honda Element, by Wendy McNaughton.

The reasons that this article stood out, are several:
1.  Once I lived for a year on the road in Europe in a 1969 VW van, with my just released US Army soldier husband.  We traveled through 38 countries in that van and it was glorious.
2.One of my all time favorite artists, Canadian painter, Emily Carr, had a repurposed vehicle she called the Elephant that she used as a mobile Art Studio so she could camp out on the northwestern coast of Canada and paint, among other things, deserted First Nations Villages and their Totem Poles.  I was most drawn to her landscapes - spectacular and living visions of the northern forest.
3.  I have always been a big fan of "Little Houses" and the movement of taking up a smaller, more economical space.  I detest these un-economical, un-environmentally aware mega-mansions where it seems every person has to have a bathroom, bedroom, living room, to his or herself, strewn throughout a three story, clerestories ostentatious McMansion that uses too much electricity to heat and light and cool.  I HATE waste!  

So, our author, with the help of a carpenter/woodworker, designed a created a mobile Art Studio with the modern necessities - a computer, scanner, fax machine, so she could produce her work, on the road and send it in from the road.  Love it!

One of the many many things I love about the Sunday New York Times is that in sections I would never look at in other newspapers, I can find articles of interest in the Sun.NYT, such as this one in the Business section.  Usually the business section in other publications is dry stuff about acquisitions, stock market health and so on, but in the Sun>NYT, here is this wonderful article with a little blueprint showing exactly how this designer set up her Mobile Art Studio in her 2009 Honda.  

By the way, if you were an educator, you can get a discount on your Sunday subscription, 50% off!  So you can get the Sunday paper for less than if you bought it each week = $21.  A true bargain.  I buy it mainly for the Book Review, but I have learned to enjoy a lot more since I have subscribed.  I found out about it from Facebook.

Happy Trails!
Jo Ann
wrightj45@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment