Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Cherry Hill: Looking Below the Surface

Last night, Tueday, May 14, at 7:00 p.m. the Cherry Hill Library hosted an excellent presentation given by Dr. Ilene Grossman-Bailey, president of the Archaeological Society of New Jersey.  Although the focus was on Cherry Hill sites, Dr. Bailey did a generous overview and introduction for those new to archaeology.  She spent a good deal of time on artifacts found from the Native Americans who once lived in the area, and offered a glimpse at several historic sites from the 1700's and 1800's which are still preserved in the Cherry Hill area, such as the Croft farm and Bonnie's Bridge.

This was so intriguing, I kept thinking it could have been an introduction to a series of programs and I am certain it would attract an audience.  I counted twelve rows of ten seats each in the 'filled to capacity' conference room downstairs in the library. 

For those who want more, there is an Archaeological Society of NJ May Meeting from 11:00 a.m. to 2:45 p.m. at Croft Farm (Kay-Evans Farmhouse) at 100 Borton's Mill Rd.  It is free and open to the public and there will be four talks given.  The schedule offers a Board Meeting at 11:00, followed by lunch at 12, 12:30 President's Welcome, then a talk on the Cherry Hill Site, speakers- Tony Bonfiglio and Jack Cressons, followed by at 1:15 Results of Archaeology on the Madeiro I site, Moorestown, presented by Dr. Bailey, and finally at 1:30, Archaeology of the Kay Evans Farm, speaker, Michael Gall.

There is a number given on the flyer for more information 856-488-7886 or CHHC@CHTownship.com

I am hoping to attend.  I'm meeting earlier in the morning with a friend from my old high school graduating class, but if we finish in time, I'll try to get there.  In fact, Dr. Bailey said it was possible to skip the Board Meeting and come for the talks, which is what I plan to try to do.

I think the Colonial period would have been of interest to me, the families who came to the area and established the farms.   But, I have to admit that the 1700's and 1800's are  my favorite periods in history in this area, so I'm biased.

I enjoyed the talk enormously and was also glad to run into an old pal, Paul Schopp, who let me know the next Burlington County Historians Roundtable will be held on June 8.  That is always an enlightening event and I've had to miss the last several meetings due to conflicts in scheduling.  For more information on that, check out the web site.
http://www.burlcohistorian.com/
The roundtable will be held at Bordentown Library at 10:00 a.m., 18 E. Union Street.  There are many interesting events posted at this site, be sure to check it out.  If I had not already been booked for both days this weekend, I would have taken the Quaker Meeting House bus tour mentioned on the Burlco web site as there are still seats available.

I picked up a brochure on the Archaeological Socity of NJ and there was a Volunteer opportunity on Saturdays from June 1 to July 6 with the Monmouth University's field school dig at Fieldsboro, Burlington County.  To learn more about this hands-on opportunity to be a part of a real dig, go to
http://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090D49ACAD2FA64-fieldsboro

Happy Trails!  Jo Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment