Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Historic Vegetarianism

It may come as a surprise to recent vegetarians or non-vegetarians, but the vegetarian movement had a very early start in America and is not at all a new idea.  One of the most famous of early vegetarians was New Jersian John Woolman.  You may have seen my post on visiting his historic house 99 Branch Street, Mount Holly.

Anyhow, I've been a vegetarian for the most part of the last 40 years or so and it was interesting to me that two of my friends attended the American Vegan Garden Party in Malaga on Sunday, May 26th.  As soon as my yoghurt and honey are gone, I'm going vegan too.  My daughter was a vegan for some years and it gave me an insight into the possibility of it. 
My  motives are both health and ethics. 

If you are interested in learning more the American Vegan Society is at 56-72 Dinshah Lane, Malaga, NJ 08328, phone 856-694-2887 and
www.americanvegan.org.  
I'm joining the society and plan to attend the next Garden Party.  I'll let you know when it will be held. 

Here is a quote from the journal of John Woolman, influential Quaker theologian

The Exercise of Cruelty ~ John Woolman

"...as by his breath the flame of life was kindled in all animal and sensitive creatures, to say we love God ... and at the same time exercise cruelty toward the least creature ... was a contradiction in itself."

John Woolman, 1772

Happy Trails!  Jo Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment