Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Egg Harbor City, Peace Pilgrim Park

If you have ever happened onto Peace Pilgrim Park in Egg Harbor City and wondered what it was all about, this is a good year to ask, as this is the 60th anniversary of Peace Pilgrim's monumental gesture to encourage people to consider Peace.  She walked for 28 years across the United States carrying only a pencil.  She had prepared for her journey by hiking rhe Appalachian Trail from Maine to Georgia.  She wanted to promote the Power of Peace and she DID!  Newspapers all over America documented her journey and thereby, her message. 
There is a newsletter called Friends of Peace Pilgrim which is how I found out that this year is the 60th anniversary of the beginning of her immense  effort.  There are many books about her life and message and also there are events to celebrate her life and her message.  You can write to Friends of Peace Pilgrim, P.O. Box 2207, Shelton, CT.06484 or call (203-926-1581 or visit the web site     http://www.peacepilgrim.org/news/index.htm
The Peace Pilgrim weekend celebrating her work and her mission will be held September 20-22, 2013.  I attended last year and I can tell you it was uplifting and interesting.  It was held at the Egg Harbor City Middle School.  Over 70 people attended the event I attended (which is how I got on the mailing list) and also attending was Peace Pilgrim's 97 year old sister Helene Young.  Although one of the events of that weekend was a walk to Peace Pilgrim's birthplace on the outskirts of Egg Harbor City, I didn't attend that walk having visited that site on my own some time earlier in the year and also having hunted for her burial place, which I didn't succeed in finding.  I would have left a flower for this brave and devoted advocate for Peace. 
I found Peace Pilgrim Park when I was hunting out the 'Serpentine' canal.  I think I may have written about that before.   If not, I'll dig up my information on that and blog about it next time.  It is well worth the trip.  I have been there many times to visit the charming Historical Society on the same grounds. 
Happy Trails and may you go in peace and stay in peace.
Jo Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment