Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Monday, June 12, 2017

My Ukulele Lessons at Collingwood Music Store

I was doing a book/workshop on creativity that asked what thing we had always wanted to do and had never done.

All my life from when I was a child, I had wanted to play a musical instrument.  Also, I had wanted to learn a formal dance practice, and I had!  I studied Graham Technique for nearly 8 years.  I had wanted to write a book and I have written and independently published 3!  Most of all I had wanted to draw and paint and I have a degree in Art and I can draw and paint.  But, I had never learned an instrument.

When my daughter left home, I kept her piano tuned and eventually I thought, "Why not, it's sitting right here in the living room."  So I took lessons for a year and I did like it but I stopped.

For Mother's Day, my daughter bought me a Makala Shark ukulele, so I tried teaching myself but I soon felt it was hopeless, then, I found Collingwood Music Store and saw that they gave lessons.

My teacher, Scott, is marvelous.  He is delighted when you 'get it' kind and supportive when you are struggling, and he has impeccable pacing.  He is a natural and gifted teacher.

Now, I am a three- time award winning teacher, and I taught in the graduate Art Department of the University of the Arts for many years, so I know a good teacher when I see one.  He has a gift!  He makes the lessons so much fun.  I feel encouraged and inspired when I take a lesson.

When you are learning something entirely new and foreign to your existing skills, there is a lot of nervousness, at least for me, so I appreciate lessons with no anxiety.

This week, I am learning "You Are My Sunshine."  Previously I learned 4 chords and how to read the basic notes.  Now we get to the real deal - a song!  I will let you know how I make out. 

And if you, too, have always wanted to learn to play an instrument or if you have one gathering dust and you are finally ready to learn how to play it, I strongly recommend Collingwood Music.

Ted Velykis - Owner
856-854-5094
9 Lincon Ave.
Collingswood, NJ 08108 
Music Lessons for all Ages:  Guitar, Bass, Piano, Drums, Voice, Violin, Banjo and more!
Also Vinyl LP's, Vintage and Boutique Instruments, Accessories
Buy-Sell-Repair-Special Orders
www.CollingswoodMusic.com

No comments:

Post a Comment