Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Sunday, January 26, 2020

List grows longer and longer-Maggie Kuhn, Gray Panther

Well, I am on phase 5 ofmy 9 part phases for my Art Project for the Eiland Arts Celebrating Women 2020, Juried Art Show.  First I developed my list, then I narrowed it down to fit the design of my project which is loosely based on quilting squares, but instead of being put together to form a blanket, mine are to be fastened together like a book.  I narrowed it down to 20 to match the title of the Art Program, and also to make it manageable within the time frame which was just under a month.  We got the notice in early January and the deadline is Feb.8.

So I bought the materials, did some research, and started making 20 postcard sized painted portraits of my chosen leaders.  I believe I posted the list on here earlier.  But what has happened is that it inspired a kind of conversation with different friends working on different things and I kept on thinking up other leaders who should be remembered.  Since I am nearing the end of my project, I decided to use the blog to remember the women I can't add to the Art Project and today I want to add Maggie Kuhn, who started the Gray Panthers, a somewhat radical group that attacked ageism in the workplace.  Maggie herself was fired from her work at the Presbyterian organization where she spent most of her career when she was only 65!  That was the spark that lit her fire.

Later groups that probably evolved from Maggie Kuhn's group would be AARP, for example, which came out of the Retired people movement.  

Today we remember Maggie Kuhn, who died in Philadelphia in 1995 at age 90.

Happy Trails,
Jo Ann
wrightj45@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment