Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Thursday, January 16, 2020

Upcoming opportunities to show Art Work and Celebrat 100th Anniversary of Suffrage!

BRAVE 100
A collaboration of artists and galleries to celebrate the 100th anniversary of women winning the right to vote in America is beginning!  You will have to work fast unless you already have work appropriate to the theme.  Deadline is February 8th.  Look up website:  Eiland Arts Group Show 2020 and download the application and the information.  

I had decided I would temporarily stop painting for a few months so I could get back to my book, my second memoir but this call for work intervened and I HAVE to participate in a project so close to my heart as Women's History and the Suffrage Movement.

My project is based upon several ideas.  One idea, the foundation of the project, is a fabric book I made for my daughter when she was little  I made a bunch of quilt squares from a variety of fabrics cut from clothes from a 2nd hand store - tweeds, satins, corduroy - all fabric with interesting textures.  The center square was a pocket and I put little toys in the pocket  I fastened the squares together at the side like pages in a book and put a fabric handle on it so she could carry it around like a shoulder bag.

That idea THE POCKETBOOK, is my base.  I have chosen 20 women who are not only brave and have made great accomplishments but who have some place in my persona affection.  Also, my Grandmother Mabel was a quilter and quilts have been important in women's culture, as have pocketbooks so these ideas fit together nicely.  In the front of each center pocket will be a painting of each of the 20 women, by me.  Inside the pocket, behind the painting, will be some objects collected by a dear old friend of mine, Chris.  Also inside the pocket will be a printed text card with bio info on the woman portrayed, by a dear old teacher friend Kathleen.  

My goal is to do 2 paintings per day, so far so good - I have 6 paintings done, all materials purchased and my plan and schedule done.  Today a meeting with Kathleen to go over plans and schedule and she has a device for cutting fabric accurately, so we plan to cut the squares.

I will post on the progress of the project.  Some of the names I have chosen are:  Clara Barton (educator and Red Cross founder), Elizabeth White (agriculture-cultivator of the blueberry & NJ), Harriet Tubman, Billy Jean King (for athletics and for the Battle of the Sexes match with Bobby Riggs), Joni Mitchell (music), Hillary Clinton (presidential candidate).  I tried to cover many fields, Rachel Carson (environmentalist, scientist), Sally Ride (astronaut and physicist) and many periods from Revolutionary era - Ona Judge (who escaped from enslavement with George and Martha Washington and despite their attempts to apprehend her she remained free) to 21st Century with Hillary Clinton's run for president.  It was hard to narrow it down to 20 and I could have easily done 100 or 200, but I don't have time with less than three weeks to finish.

Happy trails whether in the woods in the towns, through time or in your mind!
Jo Ann
wrightj45@yahoo.com
Oh yes, you need to download an application and get further information from Eiland Arts web site look for Eiland Arts Group Show 2020 and you should be able to find it.  Eiland Arts is the gallery and art center located in the old Merchantville train station.


No comments:

Post a Comment