Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Monday, January 27, 2020

My Singer Sewing Machine

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am working on a machine sewn quilt type project - actually, not a quilt but using quilt type squares which will be sewn together on an edge like pages in a book.

This is an old design of mine from my daughter's toddler years.  Her first books were hand made by me out of cloth to make them safe and pleasurable.  My favorite was a big one I made from a wild variety of fabrics from a second hand store, satin, corduroy, burlap, felt, faux fur, all kinds of textures to delight little fingers.  In the center of each square was a pocket with a little soft toy in it, a bunny, a doll made of muslin, a toy airplane, and so on.

Also, I made books with acetate pockets with pictures in them of city animals, pigeons, police horses, cats in antique store windows on pine street, dogs being walked and so on.  I loved them at least as much as my daughter did.  That was over 30 years ago.  

I brought back the idea to do a project for CELEBRATE 2020, the 100th anniversary of passage of the Suffrage amendment.  I did 20 portrait paintings to go in the pockets in the squares.  

But to get to the subject, my sewing machine.  My machine is a fine instrument, a smooth running, flawless, simple machine almost as old as I am.  It was my mother's and may have been my grandmothers.  Anyhow it is the Singer model 301A built in 1950, patented in 1944 (I was born in 1945) and sold until 1958. 

The sewing machine revolutionized life for American women, and really, women all over the world!  Thanks to Englishmen Elias Howe and Thomas Saint for inventing them in 1790!

I had a picture for you but it had html that messed up my blog page.  Sorry!
Happy Trails!
Jo Ann 
wrightj45@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment