Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Thursday, January 9, 2020

Looking for something fun and different for your Valentine?

Looking for something new and different to show your Valentine how much you care?  This is a great idea! - 

 Enjoy dinner with your valentine (or best pal) in the Colonial ambiance of the Whitall House in Red Bank Battlefield Park! Two seatings are at 5 pm and 6:30 pm. Reservations are required and the deadline for reservations is Feb. 7th. This dinner sells out quickly so don't wait to reserve! Three entrée choices are available. Cost is $22 per person. Seating is family style. For a complete brochure with reservation info, click the link in this email, call the Office of Land Preservation, Certified Gardeners, at 856-307-6456, or email eschreiter@co.gloucester.nj.us

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am returning as a volunteer docent at the James and Ann Whitall House this spring.  I had to leave because my knees and back wouldn't work with the conditions at the time, but now there are chairs for the docents, and you don't need to wear the heavy costumes, so I can manage it.  

I love the beautiful and house the the magnificent setting along the Delaware River.  If you have never visited the park, you should go there!  I went there almost every night a few years back for what I called "The Sunset Show" the sun setting over the Delaware River is stunning and many people go there to witness it.  It puts everything in perspective to witness this age old natural event.  You can have a short walk or a long walk, or no walk.  You can sit on a bench, or sip a coffee in your car and simply look out over the river.  
It is a beautiful and relaxing place to go and so close to everything - Gloucester County, or Camden County!

I have never had the opportunity to enjoy the dinners at the  Whitall house as that is a relatively new offer, but if I can find a friend who is free and interested, I may give it a try.  At my age there are a number of friends who are widowed and in our modern world it is not uncommon for our children to live far away, so it is nice to find alternative ways to spend some holidays such as Valentine's Day.  I had a friend for some years with whom I spent Thanksgiving going to the local historic Inns such as the Telford Inn and Centerton Inn, it was so much fun!  We didn't go this year and I wanted to try the Barnsboro.  My favorite was the Sugar Hill, but it was a long drive - on the way to the seashore, Mays Landing.

Well, again and for he last time the greeting Happy New Year!  Maybe a resolution to consider is to make visiting our local historical sites a new hobby and habit!

Happy Trails!
Jo Ann
wrightj45@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment