Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Sunday, February 2, 2014

A Perfect Day in Cape May

South Cape May Meadows - Cape May Migratory Bird Refuge

Yesterday a friend, Gail,  and I drove to visit my cousin who lives in the Villas.  Gail and my cousin Patty, lived near each other in our early childhood in South Philadelphia.  I always take my dog when we go to Cape May, and we always plan to have a walk when we get there before we go to lunch.  You may have read the post on Cox's Creek before, from another such trip. 
This time, my cousin directed us to the South Cape May Meadows, another of the New Jersey Conservancy sites, located off Sunset Blvd.  look for the sign to the trail.  It was PERFCECT!  After the long days of below '20 degree weather, we had a balmy 40 and the trail was a raised sandy pebbled surface free of most of the snow and perhaps a 1/4 of a mile long (maybe even 1/2 mile).  I love the seashore in the winter - when it is free of crowds and not blazing hot.  Not a fan of high temperatures, this was perfect hiking weather for me and my dog.  The view over the grassy dunes was lovely with the blue sky overhead and then, the view of the beach and the water! 
If you make this a day trip, I recommend the Bella Vida Cafe for lunch.  They have many vegan and vegetarian selections.  I had a veggie burger on focaccia bread, toasted, cole slaw and a cup of quinoa and vegetable soup - delicious!  My friend and cousin had the veggie reuben, which I plan to get next time.
The Bella Vida is open all year and is located at 406 N. Broadway in West Cape May.
Happy Trails!  Jo Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment