Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Two Upcoming Events for March

Hello!  Weather still keeping me close to home.  It's been lunch and movies instead of exploring for the past month, but I have seen every movie up for an Oscar!

Anyhow two events came to my attention today - one from the Sunday Courier:

The German-American Cultural Society of South Jersey will meet Tuesday, March 4, at 7 p.m. in St. Stephen’s Meetingroom, 230 Evergreen Ave., Woodbury. Meeting, program and refreshments. Contact  Debbie at 856-468-9525, or email: gacsofsj@yahoo.com.

The German-American Cultural Society of South Jersey is of particular interest to me because I have German ancestors who came to this country in the early 1800's about 1830.  The two names of those branches, which come down to me via my grandmother and great-grandmother on my father's side are Sandman and Young.  Although I had some trouble finding the Youngs until I realized they had Americanized their name from Jung.  I got some help on that from ancestry.com where I met another distant relative on the Young family side and she shared some research she had commissioned from a professional genealogist who was able to find the citizenship paers for Adam Young from Darmstadt who later married Catherine Sandman and became the father of  Mabel, my very beloved grandmother.

As it happens, through sheer good fortune and coincidence, I have visited every country from which my ancestors came:  Scotland, Ireland, England and Germany.  I lived in Germany for two years in a small town called Heilbronn Am Neckar (which means on the Neckar River) and I think I may have posted on that previously.  Ich Kann ein bissient Deutsch sprechen - though I never could spell having learned from talking rather than from reading or school.

It is my hope and amibtion to renew my family history research this year.

When I was searching the net for the location of the Germany-Am. meeting since I had already let the newspaper go without copying the information, I also ran into this interesting upcoming event:

"The Gloucester County Chapter of The Archaeological Society of New Jersey will meet Wednesday, March 5, at 7 p.m. at West Deptford Public Library, 420 Crown Point Road, Thorofare. The program, “A Different Look at The Native Americans of West Deptford,” will be presented by Archaeologist Jesse Walker of Richard Grubb & Associates Inc. All are welcome to share interest in this educational evening and learn the local prehistory of this area."

By the way, I did hike at Parvin on Saturday and it was dry and beautiful - no snow, no ice, no mush.  We had expected at least to run into mud and water from the melted snow, but it was perfect trails from start to finish.

Auf Wiedersehen!  Jo Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment