Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Giant Jackrabbits and Giant Vegetables

When I was a fifth grader at the D. N. Fels School on Oregon Avenue in Philadelphia, our regular teacher, a mean lady, was absent and we had a substitute, a 'poor soul' as my grandmother used to call them, the hapless peculiar people you run across from time to time.  He was very old, dragged out of retirement for the shortage of teachers due to the baby boom.  He didn't know what he was doing, but he taught us how to write checks so that no one could trick us and change the amount.  We werent' going to have checks for another ten years or so, but when we did.....And he brought us these amazing postcards of cowboys riding giant jackrabbits and huge vegetables on farm wagons and train cars.  I forget most of whatever else I was taught at that time, but I never forgot those postcards. 

Something reminded me of it tonight and I looked up the images.  I would have bought some cards but amazon.com didn't have any to sell.

No comments:

Post a Comment