Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Friday, November 22, 2013

Christmas Shopping in Collingswood

Today, I was treated to what I presume will be the last of this year's birthday lunches!  My friend Isabelle came over and we walked around Newton Creek Park, then Knight's Park, to get a good appetite for lunch at SaladWorks, Haddon Ave. in Collingswood, where, I am pleased to announce, Butternut Squash soup is back on the menu.  It is the best butternut squash soup I have ever tasted and I've tasted dozens, in restaurants, home-made, canned and from specialty stores.  Theirs is delectable and all my friends who've tried it agree on that.

Then we strolled down the avenue and checked out some shops we have missed.  We haven't been to Collingwood much recently.  I spend a lot of time at Timber Creek instead of walking Newton or Knight's because I like to let Trixie, my 'Labaraner' (half Lab half Weimaraner) off the leash.  Several stores have opened up and two I want to mention especially are:

1.  Frugal thrift & vintage.  One of the things that used to draw me to Collingswood besides the parks, was a thrift store I LOVED:  A Friend in Need.  They closed and I did a clear-out/de-clutter at my house and mended my buying ways, so I haven't been back.  Isabelle, however, had no such restrictions and she bought several clever and charming Christmas gifts:  A Christmas tree candle, a great European puzzle, and some other things; I stopped paying attention to what she was buying because I saw so many things I wanted!

2.  Next, we stopped at The Candy Jar, and Isabelle bought chocolates for her Thanksgiving Day Dinner (a dessert offering) and we were invited to try several other chocolate treats - my favorite was a white chocolate with crushed peppermint stick candy in it - it was teh very taste of Christmas morning.  The shops were warm and inviting and had the feel of Christmas, as Collingswood does - that old quaint main street feeling, with people strolling cheerfully and the lights on, decorations in the windows and dusk falling on a gray November Day.  And those chocolates - What a tasty treat to drop in a stocking, or bring as a hostess gift.

It was a delightful way to spend a day - you can't go wrong in Collingswood for places to visit and things to eat!
Happy Trails - Jo Ann
Oh yes:
The Candy Jar, 742 Haddon Ave. 856-833-1010, www.thecandyjarnj.com

Frugal Thrift & Vintage
740 Haddon Ave., Collingswood, NJ 08108 856-858-0700, info@frugalresale.com 
www.FrugalResale.com

I really support re-cycle and re-sale and on that subject don't forget CamTech Computers for the best deal in refurbished laptops!  I have been buying from them for years and have no complaints, only praise.  I saw splendid laptops in their window for $199!!! What a great gift idea!  And they stand behind what they sell.  I've directed half a dozen people to them for laptops and all of them have been satisfied.
 If you want to ask about the computer store, you can contact me by e-mail at:    wrightj45@yahoo.com


No comments:

Post a Comment