Historic Places in South Jersey

Historic Places in South Jersey - Places to Go and Things to Do

A discussion of things to do and places to go, with the purpose
of sharing, and encouraging exploration of South Jersey.

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Places To Go Things To Do

AS mentioned in a previous post, after I retired, I compiled a list of 32 places to go and things to do that I offered my retiring teacher friends who thought they might not know what to do with themselves after retirement.  I recently met just such a teacher at a terrible movie I saw at what is now called Carmike (used to be Rave Cinema, used to be the Ritz at Voorhees).  I decided to reprise the list and add to it.  I will post 10 a day, perhaps in categories rather than locations.  All are in New Jersey, most within an hour's drive and most free (except of course for lunch or dinner or a movie).

This is from the old list and some things have changed, so I will amend:



1.Weekly movie at Carmike (formerly Showcase at the Ritz, Voorhees) (lunch at Coffee Works (same shopping center), Olive Garden (turn at the light before the Eagle Plaza or google it), dinner Bankok City -( the best little restaurant and the lunch special is unbeatable at $8 for appetizer, soup or salad and entree' the food is great and the atmosphere serene)'

2.HIKING:  I was in the Outdoor Club of SJ for years but quit some time ago.  I walk every day at Big Timber Creek now as the Outdoor Club hikes were a bit to long for me.  I do 3 miles, they averaged 6.  For nice shorter walks try Collingswood, Newton Creek and Knights Park, or Haddon Lake Park, or my favorite the Big Timber Creek Park with many birdle paths in the woods.  For you more athletic hikers,  the OCSH has hikes three or more times a week plus special events seasonally and kayak trips, OCSJ has a website with info on all events
For additional hike ideas check my back topics for Maurice River Bluffs, Peeks Preserve, the Cranberry Trail and others.

Special Events/Excursions

3. North:  Lambertville – the flea market on Sunday, hiking the canal tow path, lunch in town, quaint galleries, museums, bookstores, Washington’s Crossing Park – great hiking historic places incl. a historic ferry house

4.Middle area: Burlington City, hiking around the town, quaint restaurants, river walk, Bordentown – site of one room school house (Burl. Hist. Soc. runs a one room school tour in Sept.)

5.Mount Holly with lunch at the Robin's Nest.

6.Flea Market (spring through autumn recommended)
at Columbus - near Rt. 206

7.Camden County  Collingswood, lots of great parks (3 parks from 1 ½ mi. to 4 mi. walking paths), little restaurants, (10 min. from me) always something fun going on such as the October Book Festival or the summer classic car show.

8.Camden County Historical Society (behind Lady of Lourdes Hospital off Haddon Ave. in Camden) check out their web site for info on hours and exhibits - a great museum and Pomona House, plus genealogical library

9.Haddonfield:  Indian King Tavern visit and walk the main street.
 some good hiking parks and ponds, but I'm not really familiar with them, one comes off the Cooper River, accessible via Kings Hwy.

10.Audubon, Haddon Heights – a 3 mile park with free concerts all summer at the outdoor amphitheater. Check out Camden County Parks website.
11.Cooper River – 4 mile hike, concerts all summer, poetry, jazz and art at the Hopkins House

Well that's 11 for today, and I'll do 10 more each time I post. Next, perhaps small towns!
Happy Trails!
Jo Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment